When we say we love books, does that mean we love books as objects, or do we love what books can give us? In other words, do we really love books , or do we love reading? Are these just two sides of the same coin?
I think, that it depends. You may love the storyline in the book, or the interesting content, and I highly doubt you actually love the cover and material of the book. You may also just enjoy reading, so you love the book because you really want to read. After your finished, you can make a full judgement on it :)
Well, for me it's both. I love reading, but I love those beautiful pages and type and covers. You can say "Don't judge a book by it's cover" as many times as you like...and there is an element of truth in it. I'd rather read a tattered and yellowed and dusty and smelly copy of The Lord of the Rings than a beautiful copy of Velvet Elvis (stupidest book ever!). But the nasty old paperback that I am seeing in my minds eye would make my hands feel weird, and would make me sneeze, and would likely lose a few pages... you get the idea? The experience of reading a book is changed completely by the book itself. (Then there is the attachment to a particular copy of a book, no matter how battered it becomes...that makes a huge difference to me, because when I hold it, and look at the pages I remember other times I read the same pages--the sounds and smells that surrounded me, and the feeling I had when I was reading!)
So, that long and not particularly coherent jumble of words was to say this:
Reading is an experience that involves much more than ideas zooming into our brains. Part of that experience depends on the book itself. Granted, the content is the most important thing, but nonetheless the material book is not unimportant. I suppose the answer is different for different people, but when I say "I love books" I mean the physical object as well as the words on the page.
That's so awesome, I'm glad you have your own blog too! :-) As to your question, I certainly think I enjoy the concept of books more than the content inside them. But once I'm pulled into the story, I don't pick it up just for the excitement of holding a book... I get hooked on the content. I think, anyway. Then again, sometimes I do read just because it's relaxing and feels productive even if I'm not that interested in the content. Interesting question...
Thank you, everyone for your comments. I agree with each of you. Sometimes, in reference to Daddy Carlson's point, people just like the look of books and have shelves and shelves of beautiful books that they have no desire to read. Others only want the content and couldn't care less about the asthetic quality of a substantial book - hence the curious fad of Kindle. However, as Kaitlyn said, some of us still like the feel and smell and beauty of BOOKS. This is why I always feel dramatically happy in a library - call me weird, but there it is. But it is ultimately, as Emily aptly pointed out, the content of a book is what really hooks us. I would rather read a falling a part copy of "Screwtape Letters" than a brilliant edition of "Des Capital." So - I guess in answer to my original questions: these are really two sides of the same coin. A story not in a book would not be as sweet, but a book must have more than type, pages, and a cover - its substance makes it a book worth reading. Thanks again for all your comments.
Good question. I often ask myself the same thing. This seems to be to be an area where clearly one's actions will speak louder than ones words.
ReplyDeleteWell, I better get reading and not just blog about it ...
I think, that it depends. You may love the storyline in the book, or the interesting content, and I highly doubt you actually love the cover and material of the book. You may also just enjoy reading, so you love the book because you really want to read. After your finished, you can make a full judgement on it :)
ReplyDeleteWell, for me it's both. I love reading, but I love those beautiful pages and type and covers. You can say "Don't judge a book by it's cover" as many times as you like...and there is an element of truth in it. I'd rather read a tattered and yellowed and dusty and smelly copy of The Lord of the Rings than a beautiful copy of Velvet Elvis (stupidest book ever!). But the nasty old paperback that I am seeing in my minds eye would make my hands feel weird, and would make me sneeze, and would likely lose a few pages... you get the idea? The experience of reading a book is changed completely by the book itself. (Then there is the attachment to a particular copy of a book, no matter how battered it becomes...that makes a huge difference to me, because when I hold it, and look at the pages I remember other times I read the same pages--the sounds and smells that surrounded me, and the feeling I had when I was reading!)
ReplyDeleteSo, that long and not particularly coherent jumble of words was to say this:
Reading is an experience that involves much more than ideas zooming into our brains. Part of that experience depends on the book itself. Granted, the content is the most important thing, but nonetheless the material book is not unimportant. I suppose the answer is different for different people, but when I say "I love books" I mean the physical object as well as the words on the page.
PS: This is why Amazon Kindle will NEVER conquer!
I agree completely!!!!
ReplyDeleteWhoah, I had no idea this blog was here! Is this your personal blog, Julie?
ReplyDeleteYes. This is my personal blog, on condition that I not neglect the family one!!
ReplyDeleteYah for Julie's Blog!!!
ReplyDeleteAre there any new posts on your family one?
That's so awesome, I'm glad you have your own blog too! :-) As to your question, I certainly think I enjoy the concept of books more than the content inside them. But once I'm pulled into the story, I don't pick it up just for the excitement of holding a book... I get hooked on the content. I think, anyway. Then again, sometimes I do read just because it's relaxing and feels productive even if I'm not that interested in the content. Interesting question...
ReplyDeleteI think we have successfully answered that question :)
ReplyDeleteYep. I guess it's time for a new post. Maybe I'll get to it this weekend . . .
ReplyDeleteThank you, everyone for your comments. I agree with each of you. Sometimes, in reference to Daddy Carlson's point, people just like the look of books and have shelves and shelves of beautiful books that they have no desire to read. Others only want the content and couldn't care less about the asthetic quality of a substantial book - hence the curious fad of Kindle. However, as Kaitlyn said, some of us still like the feel and smell and beauty of BOOKS. This is why I always feel dramatically happy in a library - call me weird, but there it is. But it is ultimately, as Emily aptly pointed out, the content of a book is what really hooks us. I would rather read a falling a part copy of "Screwtape Letters" than a brilliant edition of "Des Capital." So - I guess in answer to my original questions: these are really two sides of the same coin. A story not in a book would not be as sweet, but a book must have more than type, pages, and a cover - its substance makes it a book worth reading. Thanks again for all your comments.
ReplyDelete