1. I was informed that Luther did not believe in reality, because it couldn't all be proven. Hence sola fide. I don't know about ya'll but that is not a very logical argument, and the first premise is wrong.
2. Oh, and did you also know that faith cannot produce certainty? But of course, that means scientific certainty. So do you believe that science can produce certainty? Isn't that faith? Sorry, I forgot that they are irreconcilable (snicker)
3. On top of that, because Calvinists must believe, and therefore cannot be certain, in salvation, then they live in fear and trembling. I was also notified that I not a pure Calvinist because I am not in fear and trembling. Wow, thanks for letting me know. By the way, Calvin seems pretty certain about salvation. Didn't he believe in the perseverance of the saints?
4. I was called as close to ignorant as I ever have because of my limited "religious mind!" Okay. I'm cool with that.
5. I was told that heaven can be found in the here and now when we all work together to find truth. Well, I love a good debate, but what good is heaven if my Lord and Savior Jesus isn't there?
6. I almost forgot - I'm also arrogant, because I claim that I'm right and everyone else is wrong. Does that make me wrong? ;-)
In fact, I might be wrong, but I have to say that faith in Jesus Christ as my only hope, but as a sure, firm foundation is an amazing way to be wrong!
But at the end of the day, whether I'm right or not - God said that He exists, that He is good, and that He defines truth. That's settles it. (no commas)
Praise the Lord for a firm standard that is not within myself and that is not defined by myself! "Let God be true, and every man a liar."
WOW. Have people actually come to you personally, and asked you, and critisized you about your faith? I would find it hard to stand strong in that kind of situation. Not that I would deny my faith or anything, but how would I answer them? How do you answer them?
ReplyDeleteHow do I answer them? Well, not very well, but I do my best and pray for grace. I don't usually say what is the best thing, but I have to trust that God did answer prayer and give wisdom, so maybe I did say at least something good. Plus going away from a conversation and thinking about what I should have said, is one way that God answers the prayer for wisdom. Wisdom is not one of those gifts that usually comes in some flash of inspiration but by gradual study and experience.
ReplyDeleteYah, I know what you mean about going away from the conversation, thinking of what you SHOULD have said. I have never been confronted no my faith though.
ReplyDeleteThat's so ridiculous, especially comming from a semi-religious school. I'll be praying for you over these last four weeks, that you'd stick it out with strength and keep gaining wisdom! Great point about wisdom comming slowly, too.
ReplyDeleteEmily, do people at college ever confront you on your faith? I know you aren't going right now, but previously?
ReplyDelete#1 - reality is what can be proven? I don't know where to begin with that one...
ReplyDelete#3 - I'm happy it's the perseverance and preservation of the saints!
#6 - I'd be more likely to believe you on that ground alone! Seldom is the truth the popular opinion...
Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! To Him be the glory forever. Amen.